Either you love them or you hate them. The perfect way to stand out in a crowd or if layered correctly, blend into daytime everyday wear. I LOVE THEM! Because lets be honest, sequins are always appropriate.
You don’t have to look like a disco ball to successfully pull off these sequined looks. These fun glitter dresses are the best way to stand out, and they can easily work for family holiday parties, holiday events, and wild nights out – it all depends on the sparkly dresses you choose and the way you style them!
With the holidays coming up, it is guaranteed we are going to see more sequin outfits showing up on the streets, in the offices, at the bars and clubs, and, of course, at holiday parties. Sparkly outfits really do not have to be something only worn in the night time, and they definitely can be worn at events more sophisticated than a night out clubbing. All it takes is choosing the right item, and then styling it perfectly!
Sparkling At The Holiday Party
Christmas dinners and office holiday celebrations are all great opportunities to break out those sequin outfits. However, for these kinds of events you usually want to straddle a place between the sophisticated evening event looks and the club looks. You need an outfit that will be glamorous, but not overly so, and that will not be too revealing.
- Choose sparkly dresses that show a balanced amount of skin. You can wear a mini dress as long as it has a higher neckline or long sleeves. There are some silhouettes that are really perfect for holiday glitter dresses, like the skater dress, the draped dress, and my personal favorite if you want to be eating a lot of that holiday dinner: the loose wrap dress. Solid colored fitted blazers are great for holiday parties, and they’ll make revealing sparkly outfits instantly more modest and elegant.
Sparkling At The Club
The night club is the natural habitat for sequins, as it is mostly dark with just the occasional light landing on sparkly outfits and lighting them up. The loud environment of the club is where you really need the sequins in order to stand out, and it’s also where you can get away with styling them almost any way you’d like – people are less likely to notice gaudiness or errors.
- This is your chance to wear that itty-bitty strappy sequin dress. No length is too short, and no neckline is too low!
- You should not wear over the top jewelry with your sparkly club outfit. It’s not fun to dance when your necklace or earrings can get caught on things, and in reality, your outfit probably shines enough to make you stand out.
Sparkling With Elegance
Sequin dresses worn to more upscale events should definitely be on the longer side of things – no minis allowed! If you find any sequin dresses that hit the floor then you’re golden.
- With sequined dresses it’s recommended to go easy on the jewelry. You should avoid big necklaces, and instead opt for either no sparkle or just a modest pair of earrings and perhaps a delicate bracelet.
- The same logic follows for other accessories like shoes and clutches. When wearing glittery outfits, it is better that you keep shoes, purses, tights and other accessories solid colored and sleek in design.
- Sequins can also come in as an accessory instead of as a dress, but definitely don’t overdo it! For sophisticated affairs you’re much better off sticking to only one sequin accessory per outfit.
Sparkling In The Daytime
You will definitely turn a lot of heads, but if anything, that’s all the more reason to wear sequin outfits during the day! There are a ton of unique ways to style sparkly dresses and accessories for the kind of street style that gets noticed.
- The key to wearing sequins in the daytime is to play around with layering. Jackets, scarves, shoes, and tights all play a part in creating a unique outfit that doesn’t fight against the sequins.
- There are no rules! You can wear a sequined dress with a pair of running shoes and a ball cap for a sporty-glam look, or you can wear it with a pair of flats and a cardigan for a toned-down look.
- Sequin outfits don’t always mean dresses! You can build all kinds of outfits with sequin jackets, blouses, rompers or skirts.
- You might want to avoid high heels in the daytime, as wearing high heels with sparkly outfits might just be a little too fancy.
Sparkling In The Office
Yes, I truly believe that sequin outfits can be office appropriate! You do need to have a good eye and a taste for moderation in order to make sparkly dresses work at the office, while sequin separates and accessories will be much easier to play around with.
- A sequined skirt can totally work at the office! Just wear it with a nice blouse tucked in, and you can even layer a jacket or cardigan.
- Another way of playing with sequins without feeling over the top is finding clothes (especially blouses) that are just lightly embellished with sequins either as a pattern or along the hems or the collar.
A simple design is usually the way to go. Sequins will attract a ton of attention all on their own, so you don’t need a sparkly dress with a lot of complex details or an elaborate silhouette.
• Make sure the dress fits you right! Many sparkly dresses tend to be on the tighter side of things, and it is easy to notice when the dress bunches up weirdly or sags loosely anywhere on the body. If you can, try sequin dresses on before you buy them to ensure a perfect fit. These days there are also a lot of sequin dresses with wrap designs or draped silhouettes where the fit is much more forgiving, so that’s another option.
• Your sequin dress probably shouldn’t be the shortest dress in your closet. Sequin dresses already have a bit of a reputation, so while they can definitely be short, you still want to be able to sit or bend comfortably in them, without worrying about anything riding up too high.
• Combining a touch of sequins with a different fabric can actually make for interesting textures and a more sophisticated design, and is an especially good choice if you are not comfortable with the idea of wearing sequins all over.
• When you wear sequined outfits, especially if sequins take up a lot of space, then you want your makeup to work with your look rather than against it. You will likely want to avoid too much shine or glitter in your makeup, and instead opt for more mattes for a flattering contrast.
Which sequin style best fits you?