I’ve noticed that I’ve become a Scrooge when it comes to Christmas and holiday cheer. All of a sudden Christmas music is annoying, office Christmas parties are a drag and if you offer me a glass of Egg Nog, I’m going to throw up. When I think of the holidays, I immediately begin to feel stressed out, annoyed and simply over it. Unrealistic expectations, financial pressures, weight gain and excessive commitments cause me a lot of anxiety and depression during the holidays. I decided in my head that I need to regain my joy for the holidays. One way to fight the holiday blues is to reminisce about happier memories and keep in mind that no matter what is happening in life, thinking of the blessings I do have, goes a long way.
To help conquer holiday blues, I jotted down some of my favorite holiday memories:
- What was your favorite gift received as a child? Barbie Dream house. I never thought in a million years, Id get a Barbie Dream house. But it happened!
- What is your favorite holiday meal? I love non-traditional holiday meals. A Seafood Christmas menu or a Caribbean Christmas menu. Just, please NO turkeys or hams!
- What is your favorite holiday song? Jackson Five: “Give Love On Christmas Day”. In 4th grade, I was in a Christmas Dance Recital and the song we danced to was “Give Love On Christmas Day”. It was my first time ever stepping foot on a stage in public and I GOT TO WEAR A LEOTARD. I felt so pretty and I remembered all my dance steps. Whenever I hear this song, I feel so warm inside.
- Who is the hardest to shop for? My Grandma Pearle. She has everything and doesn’t accept money or cooking utensils. I thought all Grandma’s loved cooking utensils!
- What is your favorite holiday movie? The Grinch and Edward Scissorhands. Did you know that Edward Scissorhands was a holiday movie? I recently found this out. I had no clue, until I watched it over again. It now makes sense. FUN FACT: I’ve always had a crush on Edward Scissorhands.
- How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa? Ummmm, TODAY years old. You mean there’s no Santa?
- What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
- My favorite holiday tradition as an adult is having my children open up one gift on Christmas Eve night. I just love seeing the anticipation on my kids faces every year.
- Making the kids wait till we wake up before going downstairs and witnessing the enormous Toy-mageddon that Santa left. PRICELESS!
- Leaving milk and cookies for Santa knowing damn well its me eating the cookies.
- What’s your favorite holiday memory? My favorite holiday memory is visiting my grandparents in DC every year. My grandparents made sure that my brother and I had a memorable Christmas every year. MAJOR shout out to Grandma Pearle and Granddaddy Pat (RIP). Much, much LOVE!
- Name something you always wanted to do around the holidays but never got a chance to? Go caroling or witness actual carolers caroling down the street. Does that still exist? Who’s trying to form a group called “The Carols” and go caroling? I’m down!
- What’s your favorite holiday cocktail? The Gingerbread Martini and the Key Lime Pie Martini from Outback. Delicious!
- What do you look forward to this holiday? I look forward to spending time with my family and friends, counting my blessings, digging myself out of the holiday blues, being fashion forward and simply laughter.